Founded 1890

Co. Meath

HL Div 3: Dunderry's title after extra time

F34e0f73 1fbb 4038 9684 8bb66079112f

Want to manage your club's membership online this year? We've seen revenue increase by 30%.

See More

Dunderry's Luke Martyn

Dunderry 4-11 Kildalkey 1-15

Dunderry won this hard fought Division 3 Hurling League Final on Friday night in Dunganny after extra time.

Kildalkey opened the scoring with a point in the opening minute but Dunderry replied with a goal from Luke Martyn in the 2nd min followed by points from Dylan Keenan in the 6th and 8th mins from free's. Kildalkey replied with a goal in the 13th min and 3 points but Dunderry came back again with a well taken point from captain Stephen Coogan and 2 points from free's by Keenan leaving the half time score 1-5 to 1-4 to Dunderry.

The second half saw Kildalkey score the opening 4 points but again back came Dunderry with a brace by Keenan. Dunderry's defence were superb from keeper Mickey Dowdall, Aron Feeney, Brendan Wright and Chris Fitzgerald blocking tackling. Dowdall's puck outs were causing problems as they were reaching deep into Kildalkey's half. With 5 mins left in the game Kildalkey were ahead by 4 points but Conor Farrell sent in a high ball into the square Kildalkey's keeper hesitated and Martyn got a vital touch into the net. With a minute of normal time left Keenan slotted over a free to level. From the resulting puck out Farrell won a challenge and went for a point the umpire raised the white flag but for some reason referee Donal Smyth ignored this and waved it wide leaving the full time score 2-8 to 1-11. Extra time required.

The first 10 minutess of extra time saw Dunderry go for it and in the 4th minute they won a free on the dug out touchline. From nearly the halfway line Jamie Leavy hit in a high hanging ball and again the keeper misjudged the flight and it found the net. Leavy then scored a point in the 7th min but Kildalkey responded with 3 points to leave Dunderry ahead by a point at the break.

Dunderry took control of the second period of extra time. Coogan and Martyn boxed in the defender on his own touchline Coogan won the sliotar fired across the face of the goal into the net. Keenan finished off the scoring with 2 free's in the 77th and 79th mins to leave the final score 4-11 to 1-15.

A word of thanks must go to Mark Nolan and Tommy Leavy who kept the team focused even after a poor championship and also to the team themselves who stayed strong and together to put in this fantastic performance.

Dunderry: M.Dowdall, A.Feeney, B.Wright, C.Fitzgerald, S.Heffernan, J.Martin, J.Leavy (1-1), C.Dempsey, C.O'Shea, S.Coogan (1-1), C.Farrell, G.Dooley, D.Keenan (0-9,9f's), L.Martyn (2-0), C.Leonard. Subs: J.Moran for C.Leonard, D.Kelly for C.O'Shea (B/S), C.O'Shea for G.Dooley, R.Brady

Other News

Download ClubZap and subscribe for more news.


Dunderry Club House and Grounds Clean Up

Calling all members who use the clubhouse facility and gr...

Dunderry 20crest

Juniors prevail

On Monday night last, our Junior hurlers took on Kiltale ...


"The Field" by Michael Keaveny

"The Field" was written recently by Michael Keaveny, plea...


Dunderry GAA Club Shop open

Dunderry GAA playing and leisure gear is available to ord...


Anyone in Dunderry for Ireland's Fittest Family??

Ireland's Fittest Family is back! Have you and your fami...


Dunderry Lotto won!

Better late than never, but last Wednesday (March 27th) s...

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play